Macclesfield Town Council
Full Council Minutes 16th December 2019
Minutes of the meeting of Macclesfield Town Council held 16th December 2019 at 7pm at Macclesfield Town Hall.
- Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
- Cllr Alift Harewood MBE
- Cllr David Edwardes
- Cllr Fiona Wilson
- Cllr Neil Puttick
- Cllr Mick Warren
- Cllr Liz Braithwaite
- Cllr Chris Wilcock
- Cllr Fin Shenton
The meeting opened with a minute’s silence in consideration and respect for Cllr Dorothy Flude, who recently passed away.
1. Apologies for Absence
- Cllr Lloyd Roberts
- Cllr Sarah Bennett-Wake
- Cllr Dom Sexton
2. Declarations of Interest
The meeting was adjourned for public comments and questions.
Mr Martin Smith spoke in favour of a Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) for Macclesfield, highlighting the value of the Wilmslow NDP; that Macclesfield is the 2nd principle town in Cheshire East; the opportunity to safeguard heritage assets. Mr Smith also referred to past lack of decision of the council as well as previous expressions of support for neighbourhood planning by some members.
Mr Smith was thanked for his contribution and the meeting was then reconvened.
3. Minutes of the Meeting of Full Council 7th October 2019
RESOLVED: That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting
4. Matters Arising From the Minutes of 7th October 2019
It was noted that the deferred item from 15.2 was not shown on this meeting’s agenda. It was agreed that this item could be considered at Item 14 on this agenda.
5. Neighbourhood Planning & Local Planning Policy
Members discussed the potential benefits of a NDP for Macclesfield as well as the potential resource requirements and concerns relating to potential end value of a NDP. Potential alternative approaches to local planning policy were also raised.
RESOLVED: That this council does not support the delivery of a Neighbourhood Development Plan
6. Minutes of the Planning Committee
6.1 Minutes of the Planning Committee 4/10/19
6.2 Minutes of the Planning Committee 18/10/19
6.3 Minutes of the Planning Committee 8/11/19
6.4 Draft Minutes of the Planning Committee 29/11/19
6.5 Macclesfield Town Centre Conservation Area Review
RESOLVED: That Macclesfield Town Council funds the Town Centre Conservation Area Appraisal review subject to the following conditions:
- That Cheshire East Council is reminded of its duty to deliver a Town Centre Conservation Area Review
- That Cheshire East Council confirms it will progress a Town Centre Conservation Area Review
- That Cheshire East Council confirms it is in a position to fund a Town Centre Conservation Area Review
- If CEC is unable to provide or confirm funding by March 16th 2020, that this council funds the review with funding capped at £30,000 with provision to be reviewed by Macclesfield Town Council if additional funding is required;
- That Macclesfield Town Council’s funding is clearly recognised;
- That 100% of the funding is expended on the expert consultancy required for the review and not used for any Cheshire East Council costs relating to the review;
- That Macclesfield Town Council must approve the final document prior to its adoption by Cheshire East Council.
7. Minutes of the Finance Committee
7.1 Draft Minutes of the Finance Committee 25/11/19
7.2 Spend to Date
RESOLVED: That the spend of £61,841.27 is approved.
8. Minutes of the Services Committee
8.1 Minutes of the Services Committee 9/9/19
8.2 Draft Minutes of the Services Committee 18/11/19
8.3 Cycle Strategy
RESOLVED: That the Cycle Strategy is approved and adopted.
9. Community Delivery
9.1 Citizens’ Advice Bureau
2019/20 Quarter 2 report noted
10. Governance Review
10.1 Investment Policy
10.2 Community & Social Policy
10.3 Volunteers Policy
10.4 Cadet Policy
10.5 Environmental Policy
10.6 Mayor’s Civic Award Policy
10.7 Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy
RESOLVED: That the policies are approved
11. Parks & Play Areas
RESOLVED: That the funding of £100,000 from the 2019/20 budget is approved for the proposed works associated at Windmill Street Park.
12. 2020/21 Budget Setting
RESOLVED: That the budget for 2020/21 is approved
13. Member Champions
RESOLVED: That the member champion positions are appointed as:
- Cllr Fiona Wilson – Leisure – outdoor activities
- Cllr Liz Braithwaite – Town Centre Regeneration
- Cllr Janet Jackson MBE – Streetscene
- Cllr Chris Wilcock – Council Identity & Communication
- Cllr Sarah Bennett-Wake – Community
- Cllr Alift Harewood MBE – Transport
- Cllr Neil Puttick – Environment & Climate Emergency
14. Member Items
Relating to agenda Item 4 above: Consideration of a town-wide mailshot to all residences relating to local planning policy
The item was deferred to the next meeting of Council.
16. Date, Time and Place of Next Meeting
The date of the next meeting of Macclesfield Town Council is at 7pm, 16th March 2020, at Macclesfield Town Hall.
Meeting closed 7.51pm
Chair Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
Clerk Pete Turner