Macclesfield Town Centre Recovery Group Minutes 2nd October
Macclesfield Town Centre Recovery Working Group
Minutes of the meeting to be held on 2nd October 2020 2pm to 4pm
Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums
Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield
Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council
Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council (Chair)
Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council
Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council
Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council
Jo Wise Cheshire East Council
Michael Jones Local Retailer (PR Jones Jewellers)
Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust
1. Welcome from Co/Chairs
The Co-chairs welcomed the group and minutes of last meeting were agreed.
2. Initial Objectives
The group discussed the draft objectives presented by MBJ.
Additions were agreed around:
- Public realm and environment e.g. promoting green spaces
- Communication e.g. public health messages
MBJ will update
3. Update to the Baseline Information
- Footfall data is now on MTC website in an accessible format
- CEC footfall data was shared with the group, however, is not on CEC as they seek to make it accessible.
- It was noted footfall in the town centre had been increasing until last week (week beginning Sep 21st, 2020) coinciding with a change in Govt guidelines and an increase in restrictions.
Update on vacant properties and what businesses are open in Macclesfield.
This is still in progress but near completion. Thank you to Cllr Edwardes for his invaluable contribution to this task.
Collation and analysis of work in public realm and keeping the town safe and clean.
Cllr Mannion updated that the collection of examples of work that has been done and is planned to keep the town clean and an attractive place to visit, continues. It also fed into the initial objectives discussion.
Update on progression of Surveys and any initial feedback.
- Cllr Brathwaite has hand delivered around 200 surveys to local businesses.
- CEC and MTC have the links to both surveys on their respective websites
- Working Group members have circulated both residents survey and business survey far and wide, engaging many other organisations to gather evidence, and will continue to do promote.
- Engagement in the survey has been positive.
Returns so far:
- 40 Business surveys returned
- 137 Residents’ surveys returned.
Update on possible Funding
JW updated that they had a very positive meeting concerning the funding and would keep the group updated.
The group agreed that communication is of paramount importance in contributing to the success for the recovery plan.
After a discussion, it was agreed, as MTC are imminently recruiting and Events and Communication Officer (Town Centre Manager) that they would lead the Communication strategy.
It needs to include:
- Communication with Partners and Stakeholders
- Social Media and digital communications
- Communication for those who are digitally excluded or those who do not use social media
The group agreed to supplement the evidence from the surveys with sector specific sessions groups to gain further evidence.
The agreed sessions will be
- Cultural and Digital
Criteria will be developed to establish attendance for each session, and there will be up to 10 places, on a first come first served basis.
2 members of the working group will facilitate each session.
The larger forum will take place once the results of the survey and the fact finding sessions are complete.
6. Tasks Moving Forward
- Update plan – MBJ
- Update for stakeholders – MBJ
- Update on emerging survey findings – Cllr Brathwaite and JW
- Produce plan for the sector specific fact finding sessions – LS
- Structure of fact finding sessions – MBJ and LS
7. Date of next meeting
16th October 3pm – 4pm Meet to finalise details of fact finding sessions.
26th October 8.30am – 10.30am – Full working group meeting.