Macclesfield Town Council
Planning Committee Minutes 26th February 2021
Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting was held remotely, broadcast on youtube.com and can be viewed on the Macclesfield Town Council youtube.com channel.
Minutes of the meeting held on 26th February 2021 at 10am
- Cllr Mike Hutchison
- Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
- Cllr David Edwardes
- Cllr Fiona Wilson
- Cllr Lloyd Roberts
1. Apologies for Absence
2. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Roberts declared a non-pecuniary interest in application 17/4277M (outline planning for 19/3097M) as the applicant was the former owner of Cllr Robert’s pub.
Cllr Robert’s declared a non-pecuniary interest in application 21/0394M as the property is close to his home.
Meeting adjournment for public comments.
There were no members of the public attending the meeting.
3. Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting Held on 5th February 2021
RESOLVED: That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting.
4. Matters Arising from the Minutes
Cllr Wilson reported back to the committee on Item 4 from the minutes dated 05/02/21, in relation to application 19/3097M and its deferral at the Strategic Planning Board and associated traffic management concerns. A letter dated 19/02/21 has been sent to the relevant Cheshire East Council Planning Officer and we are awaiting a response.
5. Observations on Planning Applications
The planning authority has been informed of the date of this meeting and any delays in responses as they relate to all applications with response closing dates before the date of this meeting.
The Planning Committee considers all applications it is notified of and returns comments to the Local Planning Authority (Cheshire East Council) unless it has no objections.
Application No: 19/3097M
Proposal: Reserved Matters application for the erection of 134no. dwellings, vehicular access, roads and footways, hard and soft landscaping, drainage and other associated works following outline approval 17/4277M
Location: Land Between Chelford Road And Whirley Road, Henbury
The committee noted the revised proposals for property designs and drainage design but that the following concerns have yet to be addressed: traffic management, air quality, footways, the impact on schools and medical services.
RESOLVED: That the committee objects to this application on the grounds of:
- Lack of pedestrian paths and cycleways in the development,
- Increased congestion on already congested roads,
- The removal of mature woodland and hedgerows,
- Risk to flooding in the area following the development,
- The removal of peat from the site contrary to the National Planning Policy Framework and Cheshire East’s Local Plan Strategy,
- The site is within close proximity of the Broken Cross Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) and the development will lead to increased traffic volumes and therefore further exacerbate the poor air quality of that AQMA, contrary to the Cheshire East Air Quality Management Strategy,
- Lack of cycle and pedestrian routes within the development and between the development and town centre, contrary to the LPS Policy SC3,
- Increase of traffic on already congested highways with particular pressure on the development’s access and egress junction,
- Increased pressure on public services, e.g. buses, that have already been subject to cuts,
- High density of housing in the development reducing the availability of open spaces to support health and wellbeing contrary to the LPS Policy SC3,
- The density of the development is in excess of the site allocation within the Cheshire East Local Plan (LPS18), which indicates around 150 houses for the entire site, whilst this partial development of the site indicates around 250 residences will be delivered at this development density
- Increased pressure on primary care facilities,
- Increased pressure on availability of primary school places,
- Lack of evidence that there is capacity in local secondary schools,
- Removal of trees and hedges that will result in the loss of wildlife habitat,
- Concerns on the risk of flooding in the development area once the hard standing has been completed,
- The application does not clearly meet the Local Plan policy requirements of LPS18 1., 2., 3. & 5.
It was noted that the excavation of peat could result in contamination of the nearby stream, effecting ancient woodland, and that the excavation will result in 10,000m3 peat being removed from the development site.
Application No: 19/5582M
Proposal: Reserved Matters Following Outline Approval
Location: Land South Of, Chelford Road, Macclesfield
RESOLVED: That as the reserved matters do not address concerns raised in December 2019 by this committee, the committee objects to this application and reiterates the following for inclusion in the development plans:
- Sustainable transport provision to include cycleways and footpaths to access infrastructure and services in Macclesfield,
- Provision of electric vehicle charging points in communal areas and at each of the properties,
- Accessible waste and recycling points,
- Sufficient off-street parking for all properties,
- Mixed dwellings and housing types,
- Delivery of 30% affordable housing,
- Protection of existing boundaries,
- Protection of existing trees,
- That pedestrian and cycle access to the remainder/undeveloped northern portion of LPS16 is accommodated and secured for potential future development of that site as identified in the Cheshire East Local Plan,
- That the development is served by a bus route, with upgrades to bus stops on Chelford Road and the introduction of a pedestrian crossing to facilitate safe road crossing,
- Vehicular ingress and egress to the development is insufficiently served.
It was also noted that the excavation of peat could result in contamination of the nearby stream, effecting ancient woodland and that, as previously advised by Cheshire East Council, peat cannot be removed offsite.
Application No: 21/0450M
Proposal: Single storey rear extension, projecting 3.4 metres to the rear of the existing property.
Location: 33, West Park Drive, Macclesfield, SK10 3FW
RESOLVED: That the committee objects to this application on the grounds that the land contamination conditions on the original application have not been discharged.
Application No: 21/0483M
Proposal: side extension, alterations, garage conversion with flat to pitch roof and detached double garage
Location: 10, Ivy Lane, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 8NR
Application No: 21/0519M
Proposal: New access, dropped kerbs, re-build existing boundary wall, enlarge existing access to road.
Location: 56, Blakelow Road, Macclesfield, SK11 7ED
The committee sought that the Planning Officer adequately addresses the neighbour’s concerns on lack of privacy and noise when making the planning decision.
Application No: 21/0457M
Proposal: Extension to first floor over existing garage to form specialist accommodation for disabled child
Location: 63, Kenilworth Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 8UX
Application No: 21/0554M
Proposal: Single storey side extension with pitched roof to front elevation and roof terrace to rear.
Location: 8, Hamble Way, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 3RN
Application No: 21/0508M
Proposal: Single storey rear extension and raised patio.
Location: 15, Monsall Drive, Macclesfield, SK11 7DP
Application No: 21/0566M
Proposal: Demolition of Existing Conservatories & Proposed Two Storey Rear Extension
Location: 10, Linnet Grove, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 3QS
The committee sought that the Planning Officer adequately addresses the neighbours’ concerns when making the planning decision.
Application No: 21/0518M
Proposal: Demolition of existing conservatory to the rear of the property. proposed ground floor single storey extension to the rear of the property.
Location: 160A, London Road, Macclesfield, SK11 7SP
Application No: 21/0446M
Proposal: Variation of condition 3 on application 18/1313M – hours of opening.
Location: 106, Mill Lane, Macclesfield, SK11 7NR
Application No: 21/0660M
Proposal: To convert the garage into a bedroom / bathroom space
Location: 5, Craig Road, Macclesfield, SK11 7XN
Application No: 21/0538M
Proposal: New single storey, pitched roof, side extension in place of existing flat roofed garage
Location: 25, Cherington Crescent, Macclesfield, SK11 8LA
Application No: 21/0539M
Proposal: Proposed new roller shutter door
Location: Maintenance Supplies Limited, Green Street, Macclesfield, SK10 1JQ
The committee raised no objections although it was noted the installation will impact on the character of the building frontage.
Application No: 21/0657M
Proposal: First floor rear extension and pitched roofs to replace existing flat roofs
Location: 5, Derwent Close, Macclesfield, SK11 7XS
Application No: 21/0394M
Proposal: Erection of new dwelling
Location: Land To The Rear Of 11, Brock Street, Macclesfield
RESOLVED: That the committee objects to this application on the grounds that:
- The development is overbearing,
- Impact on amenities to neighbours,
- Impact on parking in the area,
- The design is not in keeping with the street scene,
- The development contravenes the draft SADPD Policy HOU8 Backland Development.
Application No: 21/0703M
Proposal: Advertisement consent for no.9 illuminated and non illuminated signage.
Location: The Weaver, 11, Thornton Square, Macclesfield, SK11 7XZ
The committee raised no objections and commented on the aesthetics of the signage being appropriate for the area.
Application No: 21/0743M
Proposal: Raising of the existing main house structure, additon of a new single storey rear extension and dormer to the rear and the whole house to be rendered
Location: 19, Sandringham Road, Macclesfield, SK10 1QB
The committee sought that:
- When making the planning decision, the Planning Officer adequately addresses the neighbours’ concerns on hazardous materials, the height of the development and usage of materials and ensures there is no breach of policy,
- An environmental report is completed.
Application No: 21/0746M
Proposal: Proposed Single Storey Side And Rear Extension
Location: 50, St Austell Avenue, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 3NN
Application No: 21/0755M
Proposal: replace existing flat roof with new pitched roof on front elevation and single storey side extension
Location: 7, Wayside Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 1RE
Application No: 21/0886M
Proposal: Ground floor rear extension to dwelling
Location: 281, Chester Road, Macclesfield, SK11 8RA
Application No: 21/0854M
Proposal: Demolition of existing conservatory to the side of the house. Proposed single storey side extension incorporating a kitchen, dining and family space. Oak framed, brick clad with glazing, pitched roof and rooflights. New Oak framed porch to front of house.
Location: 58, Park Mount Drive, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 8NS
Application No: 21/0858M
Proposal: Two storey side extension and single storey link to garage
Location: 162, London Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 7SP
6. Conservation Area Review
The committee noted the report and the four workshops in plan for stakeholder consultations:
- Workshop 1: Internal including Cheshire East Council Conservation, Planning, Enforcement, Regeneration and Highways, scheduled for 01/03/21.
- Workshop 2: Heritage groups, date tbc
- Workshop 3: Local interest, scheduled for 11/03/21
- Workshop 4: Schools, date tbc
7. Town Character Assessment
The committee noted the report, and that the Working Group is engaging with a Cheshire East Council planning officer to review the draft objectives in a meeting scheduled for 12/03/21.
8. Street Naming – Planning Application 20/0246M
RESOLVED: That the following names are proposed:
- That all roads are named after the Headteachers of the former Macclesfield County High School for Girls, opened in 1880 and located on the site of the Fence Avenue development.
- That the main route through the development is named after Kelly Smith, a Maxonian who lost her battle to bowel cancer in 2020 but during her illness raised awareness of the disease at a national level with her family now continuing to do so.
9. National Planning Policy Framework and National Model Design Code Consultation
RESOLVED: That a Working Group is established to respond to this and future planning consultations, with Terms of Reference and reporting to the Planning Committee.
11. Member Items
12. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting
The date of the next meeting of the Planning Committee is 10am on 19th March 2021.
The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.
Meeting closed at 10:57am
Chair: Cllr Mike Hutchison
Clerk: Harriet Worrell