Macclesfield Town Council
Services Committee Minutes 9th September 2019
Minutes of the meeting held on 9th September 2019 at 7pm at Macclesfield Town Hall.
- Cllr Fiona Wilson
- Cllr Liz Braithwaite
- Cllr Chris Wilcock
- Cllr Fin Shenton
- Cllr Neil Puttick
Also in attendance was Cllr Sarah Bennett-Wake
1. Apologies for Absence
- Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
- Cllr Mick Warren
2. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Wilson declared a non-pecuniary interest in agenda Item 5.1 as a volunteer run director for Macclesfield ParkRun
Cllr Wilcock declared a non-pecuniary interest in agenda item 11.4 as a member of St Michael’s Church committee
The meeting will be adjourned for public questions and comments. After which the meeting will be reconvened.
There were no public present
3. Minutes of the Services Committee Meeting Held on 22nd July 2019
RESOLVED: That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting
4. Matters Arising From the Minutes
Cllr Puttick updated the committee that he has approached groups with interests in Italy and Italian to see if there are opportunities to develop a relationship.
5. Community Engagement and Events
5.1 Community Engagement & Events Update
Members sought that the update report provides additional details regarding what is being worked on and any outcomes
Members sought that a letter of thanks is sent to the originator/organiser of the Go Macc event
Members sought that the Chinese New Year celebrations build community links with the Chinese community in the town.
The committee was advised that the CEC Cabinet would be discussing playing out and that Cllr Wilson will be providing representation from MTC at that meeting.
Members sought additional activity groups (eg walking group and Tai Chi group) for older people
6. Asset & Service Provision
6.1 Weston Community Centre
6.2 Christmas Lights
Noted. It was also suggested that consideration of the LIT Festival might be a feature of future lights switch on events.
6.3 Floral Displays
6.4 Public Toilets
6.5 See Macclesfield
- that a scheme of work is commissioned to clear and re-plot the allotments that have been left uncultivated for some time – £5,000.
- That, subject to the responses received from Knowsley Road allotment plot holders, Knowsley Road must either establish its own site association within 6 months or become joined with the already established site association of Moss Lane allotments.
- That a scheme of works is commissioned to repair boundary fences at Moss Lane allotments where the site adjoins Cleaver Mews – £4,000
- That Park Grove allotment site joins with South Park allotment site association, noting that we await the transfer of South Park allotment site from Peaks and Plains Housing
- That the council continues to seek a preferred operational route of site association management of allotment sites.
6.7 Street Sports
Members sought that the deliverer of Street Sports considers and advises of opportunities and actions to encourage and facilitate young women to participate in physical activity.
7. Parks & Play Areas
7.1 Windmill Street
It was commented that BMX track should be retained.
7.2 South Park Pavilion
That this committee recommends to Council to express interest in the transfer of the South Park Pavilion building freehold from Cheshire East Council to Macclesfield Town Council, in principle and subject to detailed terms and feasibility to be agreed and approved by council, with the aim to reinstate a viable park pavilion, delivered with a to be agreed funding mix.
7.3 Trim Trail
That the committee recommends to ANSA that the funding they have secured for the trim trail is redirected to outdoor fitness equipment in the park, advised by a suitable professional, such as the council’s Park Fit personal trainer.
8. Churchill Way Mural Improvement
That design/artistic proposals with associated costs are invited from local artists to be considered for delivery in consultation with adjoining residents and the asset owner (Electricity Northwest).
9. Forest for the Future
That the committee continues to explore potential sites for woodlands and rewilding close to the town centre
10. Public Realm
10.1 Public Realm Furniture
- That Hurdsfield, Central, East, Weston & Ivy and South Wards have the bins installed as requested by the ward members
- That Broken Cross and Tytherington Ward members inform the provision of the 4 highest priority bin installation sites for their wards
- That each ward shall be allowed 2 new bench installation sites, as advised by the ward members.
10.2 Town Ranger
- That the Ranger Service provision for 20120/21 is increased by 1 ranger plus van (and associated resources and equipment)
- That the post of Senior Ranger (title to be confirmed) is reviewed to recognise additional work related to engagement, proactivity and supervision
- That the committee reviews the provision in 6 months to consider the potential for an apprentice ranger
- That the draft budget for 2020/21 is amended accordingly
10.3 Provision of Dog Foul Bag Dispensers
11. Town Centre
11.1 Footfall Mapping Data
11.2 Town Centre Free Wifi Data
11.3 Foodie Friday
- That the provision of a Foodie Friday event format of 6-9pm on the first Friday of the month is approved for the three months of October to December 2019.
- That the provision of the Foodie Friday event for 2020 is advertised for tender proposals and operating models for this committee to evaluate and approve for future delivery.
That a revenue budget of £1,500 is allocated to St Michaels for the provision of access to toilet facilities on town centre event and special occasion days based on a Service Level Agreement (SLA)
12.1 Report (Sent Digitally Due to Size of File)
12.2 Future Provision
That the council acquires a further 3 mobile CCTV units, in consultation with the CCTV unit and that the 2020/21 revenue budget is informed accordingly.
14. Silk Friendship
14.1 Silk Road Statue
Members expressed that the costs associated with this project need to be controlled and confirmed; that the provision of the monument will support inward investment and tourism as well as community and cultural engagement.
15. Budget Setting 2020/21
The increases relating to the Ranger Service and CCTV service were noted as was a decrease in the costs associated with Christmas lights. The amendments will inform budget setting and create version 5 of the 2020/21 draft budget.
17. Member Items
18. Date, Time and Place of Next Meeting
The next meeting of the Services Committee will be held at 7pm on 18th November 2019 at Macclesfield Town Hall.
Meeting closed at 9.51pm
Chair Cllr Chris Wilcock
Clerk Pete Turner