Macclesfield Town Centre Recovery Working Group
Minutes of the meeting held on 29th March 2022
Cllr Jackson MBE
- Welcome from Co Chairs
The Co-Chairs welcomed the group
Chris Draper is leaving Peaks and Plains, the group thanked him for his contribution, and Chris introduced Frank Bailey as his replacement. Frank is looking forward to working with the group.
- Update from sub groups:
Outdoor Hospitality – Cllr Fiona Wilson
Met on 15th March 2022, notes have been circulated.
Continue to discuss:
- Pavement licenses
- Indoor market
- Town Hall
Recent update to Park Green outdoor area here, CEC have refused the use of the car parking bays for hospitality as they believe as we ‘come out of covid’ the spaces are needed. Park green businesses are working together, with MHA and they can present a solution to CEC.
Action: The group agreed the sub group can pursue this goal- to create an outdoor area at Park Green.
Art and Culture
Cllr Jackson updated from the meeting 9th March.
- The mural on Mill St, commissioned by CEC was discussed, which has created a huge buzz in the town.
- Light boxes have been funded and expected they will be placed on Park Green near the Museum.
- 2 pianos are in place – one in bus station and one in indoor market.
- Jeff Coghlan is working with Arighi Bianchi on a public art project.
Community Response- Aoife Middlemass
Volunteering is still slow since the pandemic. Aoife has been working with the Social Prescribers to promote volunteering.
Grow Macclesfield and Roe-Naissance are looking for volunteers and MTC have opportunities with the Rangers, as people seem keener to volunteer outside.
Aoife to contact Peaks and Plains to get in the newsletter to reach residents about volunteering.
Environment – Matt Todd
- Met 28th March
- Eco summit 2022- work underway on Sat 8th October, recap event on 14th May at the Town Hall.
- Repair café is well developed and successful, now in Senior Citizen Hall. Monthly 10am- 2pm.
- Litter pick to tie in with the great litter pick – if the group can promote.
- Session ‘Community Soup’ where people can bring ideas for green businesses and get advice. Once venue is decided we can promote.
- Long termer goal – is to have an Eco hub, a space where all the green groups can come together, share space etc.
- Update on other activities:
- CEC Feasibility Studies updates – Jo Wise
Jo has given apologies. Janet updated on Town Hall about feasibility study, and the next meeting with the consultant is 8th April 2022.
- Update on the Crossings – Chris Draper
Residents are moving into the Crossings and a number have relocated from Manchester City centre. United Utilities have delayed further residents moving in, until mid-April. 50% of the shared ownership properties have been sold. Next site is at the other end of Sunderland St, on George St. Cllr Brathwaite enquired about car ownership, at present Chris said there were no parking issues.
- Britain in Bloom Update – Cllr Jackson/ Laura
Laura updated that the route will be set over the next month. There are so many great plots of work that they will not all be able to be on the route as the judges are only with us for a couple of hours, however everyone can be in the portfolio.
Leaflet will be distributed over the next few weeks to encourage businesses to get involved.
Other work going on:
- Heritage Walk
- Westminster Rd wild meadow
- Phone boxes outside town hall.
Mural finished on 25th March and there was an opening with the Mayor and Peter Hook on 26th March which was well attended by residents and visitors.
Local High St app are doing an app and trail, so TC will collaborate with them to produce a trial. The response has been extremely positive.
- Opportunity for all group members to update on events and activities coming up
Jubilee – Town Council has funded 8 parties around Macclesfield, and we will be promoting as and when they are ready.
- Date of next meeting
Next meeting is on 17th May 10am