Planning Committee Minutes 8th October 2021
Minutes of the meeting held on 8th October 2021 at 10.30am in Macclesfield Town Hall.
- Cllr Mike Hutchison
- Cllr David Edwardes
- Cllr Fiona Wilson
- Cllr Lloyd Roberts
1 Apologies for Absence
Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
Cllr Sandy Livingstone
2 Declarations of Interest
3 Public Participation
Meeting adjournment for public comments and questions.
Tracy Copping, a resident and neighbour of 28 Ivy Lane, spoke on planning application 19/5426M:
- Following planning refusal, an appeal has been raised with new plans submitted on the planning portal but there are no significant changes.
- The additional floor added to the south of the property will overshadow the back garden causing loss of light and is overbearing. The two dormer windows will result in loss of privacy.
- The car park is inadequate for parking and manoeuvrability and will lead to on road parking.
- The plans don’t meet required distances between habitable rooms.
- Concerned conditions won’t be enforced.
- The overlooking windows do not have frosted glass.
- The neighbours have not been contacted by the applicant over the development.
Cllr Mannion submitted a statement which was read out by the Admin & Governance Manager:
The application was considered by the Cheshire East Northern Planning Committee at its meeting on 10th November 2020.
I spoke at the meeting in my capacity as a ward councillor and urged the committee to refuse the application on a range of grounds, most of which are set-out in the reasons for the committee refusing the application.
- The proposed development, by reason of its height, scale and design would appear as a discordant feature, which result in overdevelopment of the site and would adversely affect the character and appearance of the area.
- It would fail to comply with CELPS policies SD 2 and SE 1. 2.
- The proposed development would result in an unacceptable degree of overlooking of neighbouring properties.
- It would fail to meet the minimum standards set out within saved MBLP DC38.
- The proposal would result in significant injury to the amenities of neighbouring properties, contrary to saved MBLP policy DC3
I have now had the opportunity to read the applicants appeal documentation.
Whilst there have been some additional mitigation measures brought forward by the applicant, I am still of the view that the grounds for refusal remain valid and sound and would therefore urge Macclefield Town Council to support the Local Planning Authority to defend the appeal.
Tracy was thanked by the committee and the meeting was reconvened.
4 Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting held on 17th September 2021
RESOLVED: That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting.
5 Matters Arising from the Minutes
6 Observations on Planning Applications
The planning authority has been informed of the date of this meeting and any delays in responses as they relate to all applications with response closing dates before the date of this meeting.
The Planning Committee considers all applications it is notified of and returns comments to the Local Planning Authority (Cheshire East Council) unless it has no objections.
Application No: 21/4741M
Proposal: Proposed front and rear single-storey extensions, front and rear dormer extensions, and a two-storey side extension.
Location: 139, Tytherington Drive, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 2JG
Application No: 21/4790M
Proposal: Proposed third bedroom
Location: 3, Park Mount Drive, Macclesfield, SK11 8NS
Application No: 21/4789M
Proposal: Two and single storey side extension and alterations
Location: 43, Kendal Road, Macclesfield, SK11 8PJ
Application No: 21/4553M
Proposal: Demolition existing and build replacement building on same footprint.
Location: 1 House Court, Masons Lane, Macclesfield, SK10 2RD
Application No: 21/4811M
Proposal: Two Storey Side Extension
Location: 8, Friars Way, Macclesfield, SK10 3HX
Application No: 21/4843M
Proposal: Proposed 1.4m Front Extension to Porch and Garage
Location: 19, Park Brook Road, Macclesfield, SK11 8QH
Application No: 21/4942M
Proposal: Construction of two storey extension to side of existing dwelling with associated internal alterations
Location: 38, Congleton Road, Macclesfield, SK11 7UE
Application No: 21/4973M
Proposal: Detached garage
Location: 4, Andrew Grove, Macclesfield, SK10 1QR
Application No: 21/4985M
Proposal: Proposed conversion of existing external space into a retail space with associated replacement roof and elevation works and the erection of an attached open-sided canopy following removal of the existing polytunnel (re-submission of 20/4867M)
Location: Fairways Garden Centre, Bullocks Lane, Sutton, SK11 0HE
RESOLVED: That the committee supported this application but sought that the Planning Officer checks the neighbour’s objection regarding proximity and privacy.
Application No: 21/4809M
Proposal: Advert Consent for Advertisements consist of 15 no. foamex PVC fascia signs. Details of all 15 signs are presented on accompanying ‘Signage Details’ plan (Drawing Reference:
2800-001-04). The location of the signs are provided on the ‘Signage Location Plan’ (Drawing Reference: 2800-001-03).
Location: Elephant Hand Car Wash, Black Lane, Macclesfield, SK10 2QW
Application No: 21/4990M
Proposal: Proposed new Portakabin for 4 clinical assessment rooms on the ground floor and offices at the first floor, external ramp to the entrance doors and stairs to the offices at first floor
Location: Spire Regency Hospital, West Street, Macclesfield, SK11 8DW
Application No: 21/4894M
Proposal: Change of use of first floor to bar area and internal and external alterations
Location: 27, Pickford Street, Macclesfield, SK11 6JD
The committee raised no objections subject to the applicant providing the information required by Environmental Health to assess the loss of amenity from noise and that any concerns are addressed.
Application No: 21/4976M
Proposal: Prior approval for a change of use from commercial to dwellinghouse
Location: 2, Boden Street, Macclesfield, SK11 6LL
7.1 19/5426M 28, Ivy Lane, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 8NR
At the Planning Committee meeting on 15/01/21, the committee objected to this application on the grounds of:
- The development is overbearing,
- Overdevelopment of the site,
- Insufficient parking with the provision not meeting the car parking standards as set in Appendix C of Cheshire East Council’s Local Plan Strategy,
- Loss of natural light to neighbouring properties,
- Loss of privacy to existing properties (not meeting the standard spacing between habitable rooms as documented in SADPD HOU 11),
- Proximity to a busy highway and junction,
- Loss of amenity to neighbours, 8. The development does not conform to Policy DC38 in the Macclesfield Borough Local Plan,
- The number of rooms exceeds the limits set by Use Class C3.
Cllr Wilson spoke at the CEC Northern Planning Committee in March 2021 relating to the Macclesfield Borough Local Plan saved policies DC3 and DC38 and the CEC Local Plan Strategy policies SE1 and SD2.
RESOLVED: That the committee objected to the application and is opposed to the appeal.
8 Conservation Area Review
The report was noted.
Cllr Wilson advised the committee she would like to attend the Cheshire East Council Environment and Communities meeting in January 2022 to provide background on the Macclesfield Town Centre CAA.
9 Town Character Assessment
The report was noted.
The committee agreed that a combination of methods should be considered for a community consultation, including virtual meetings, social media, email and a printed questionnaire. Schools are to be invited to consult.
Format and content will be discussed with the Character Assessment Working Group and Planning Consultant leading the project.
RESOLVED: That the committee supported the developer’s suggestion of Painton Close.
11.1 Houses in Multiple Occupation Supplementary Planning Document adoption
The correspondence was noted but the committee also noted its disappointment that the issue of HMO licensing was not addressed in the SPD.
12 Member Items
12.1 Cllr Wilson – 21/4113M Land North of Congleton Road, Macclesfield
Cllr Wilson spoke on this application, including:
- The briefing by the developers in July 2021 that Members attended.
- Macclesfield Town Council had not been notified by CEC of the planning application.
- The reach of the consultation despite the leaflet prepared and distributed by the developers to inform neighbouring streets of the proposed development.
- That the application was originally scheduled for consideration by the CEC Strategic Planning Board but is now to be determined by delegated authority.
- Vehicular access to the development from a new roundabout.
- Protection of public rights of way as highlighted by the Public Rights of Way consultation response.
- Not all documents can be accessed.
The committee raised the following concerns:
- Macclesfield Town Council, as a statutory consultee, was not notified of the planning application.
- That the application is to be considered by delegated authority and not the SPB as originally intended.
- Some documents cannot be viewed, therefore not all information is available.
- In consideration of the limited public comments, the degree of scrutiny afforded to the public.
- The impact of the new roundabout on traffic in the area, exacerbated by the busy Flowerpot junction and its proposed improvements, and the relief road for LPS13.
Additionally, the committee sought clarification on the following:
- The reason for the application to be determined by delegated authority and not committee i.e. SPB.
- The reason Macclesfield Town Council was not consulted.
- The extent of the distribution of the developer’s pre-consultation leaflet.
13 Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting
The next Planning Committee meeting will take place on 29th October 2021 10am, in Macclesfield Town Hall (to be confirmed).
Meeting closed at 11:48am
Chair: Cllr Mike Hutchison
Clerk: Harriet Worrell