Skip to content

Information about current working groups

Upcoming Working Group Meetings

There are no future meetings coming up at the moment View all events

 

Past Working Group Meetings

2021 Meetings

Present:

Abi Sherratt Macclesfield Town Council
Aoife Middlemass CVSCE
Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council
Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council
Dr Evi Girling Keele University
Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council
Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield
Chris Draper Peaks and Plains Housing Trust
Jo Wise Cheshire East Council
Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums

Apologies:

Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council
Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council

1. Welcome from Co/Chairs

Cllr Jackson welcomed and thanked the group.

2 Change to ToR

Proposal to amend the ToR due to the ongoing Pandemic and the fact there is still so much to do. All agreed.
MBJ advised that he has resigned his role on the board of MIM due to house move, and this means he will no longer be co-chair. MiM are happy with the work done so far and have no desire to have a replacement representative on the group. MBJ happy to continue working with the group. The group also agreed to add a rep from MHA to the group, Becky Thompson.

3 Review the Plan and Actions

Comms

Meeting held on 12th July, well attended. JJ updated the group on key
points and AS will send out minutes and updated action table to all
members of Working Group, which will explain in more detail

Outdoor Hospitality

FW happy that the report sent out covers all points. No further questions

Community Response

AM has been working on volunteer recruitment with MTC, and has been
offering advice on paperwork to ensure it is robust.
Some groups are not fully open yet, and CVS are working with them to assist.

Cultural

Good meeting on the 14th July of the Cultural Forum, well attended.
Discussions continue re mural, and good progress has been made on the
Tunnicliffe Trail for later in the year.

Updated Action Plan

MBJ then took the group through the action table and each section was
discussed and the relevant RAG status updated if required.

4 Planned Walkaround with the LEP for 27th July 10am-1pm

The draft plan for the walkaround was agreed.
Actions:
• LS to update ToR
• JJ to ask MHA, to Becky Thompson to join the Working Group.
• LS to add Matt Todd to invite for next meeting
• AM to send list of community venues to Helena Gowler and LS

5 Date of Next Meeting

Next meeting scheduled for 9am on Thursday 9th September

Macclesfield Town Council

Planning Policy Consultation Working Group Agenda 13th May 2021

Agenda for the meeting on 13th May 2021 at 1.30pm.

1. Apologies for Absence

2. Minutes of the Planning Policy WG Meeting held on 15th March 2021

Action: To consider the draft minutes as a true record of the meeting.

3. Matters Arising from the Minutes

Action: To consider any matters arising from the minutes.

4. Final draft Houses in Multiple Occupation Supplementary Planning Document

Action: To consider a response to the consultation

5. Draft Housing Supplementary Planning Document

Action: To consider a response to the consultation

6. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be advised.

Macclesfield Town Council

Planning Policy Consultation Working Group Minutes 13th May 2021

Minutes of the meeting held on 13th May 2021 at 1.30pm.

In attendance:

  •   Cllr Mike Hutchison
  •   Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
  •   Cllr Fiona Wilson

1. Apologies for Absence

None.

2. Minutes of the Planning Policy WG Meeting held on 15th March 2021

That the minutes are a true record of the meeting.

3. Matters Arising from the Minutes

To correct a typing error in the following paragraph:

There should a focus on homes for life so people may feel connected to their community, instilling a sense of civic pride and community cohesion.  Affordability could aid the ambition of greater integration.

So that it reads:

There should be a focus on homes for life so people may feel connected to their community, instilling a sense of civic pride and community cohesion.  Affordability could aid the ambition of greater integration.

The consultation response from the meeting dated 15th March 2021 was ratified at the Planning Committee meeting on 9th April 2021.

4. Final draft Houses in Multiple Occupation Supplementary Planning Document

The following comments were made by the Working Group and shall be ratified at the next available Planning Committee meeting before being returned as the consultation response:

Whilst it is disappointing that Macclesfield Town Council’s former comment regarding licensing was not addressed, the following detail is welcomed and will assist the Planning Committee when considering HMO planning applications:

  • Reference to existing Planning Policies,
  • Internal layout and room sizes,
  • Waste disposal and storage,
  • Car parking,
  • Cycle parking facilities,
  • Residential amenity.

The concern remains on the control of properties housing less than five people if a licence is not required.

Macclesfield Town Council will monitor the progress of Article 4 Directions in Cheshire East in relation to HMOs.

5. Draft Housing Supplementary Planning Document

The following comments were made by the Working Group and shall be ratified at the next available Planning Committee meeting before being returned as the consultation response:

Detail on the following is welcomed:

  • Reference to existing Planning Policies,
  • Inclusion of key worker housing,
  • Meeting the needs of older persons,
  • Detail on affordable housing including ‘pepper potting’ and integration,
  • Meeting accessibility and wheelchair standards.

Concern was raised regarding the standards in Table 8.1. Cheshire East Council recognises there is a climate emergency. All applicants/developers should have a duty to meet energy and renewable standards or offset elsewhere in the local area.

The addition of a new paragraph following 8.5 that refers to the SADPD policy INF 3 Highway safety and access, incorporating charging infrastructure for electric vehicles with a standard of a charge point for every new dwelling.

6. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be advised.

Meeting closed at 2:41pm

Chair: Cllr Mike Hutchison

Clerk: Harriet Worrell

Present:

Abi Sherratt Macclesfield Town Council

Aoife Middlemass CVSCE

Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council

Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council

Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council

Dr Evi Girling Keele University

Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council

Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield

Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust

Jo Wise Cheshire East Council

Apologies:

Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council

Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums

1. Welcome from Co/Chairs

Cllr Jackson welcomed and thanked the group.

2 Updates on Member organisations endorsement of the plan

The Silk Trust formally endorsed our plan at their Board Meeting on 1st April.

CVSCE – will endorse at next Board meeting and confirm.

3 Updates on Subgroups and actions on the plan

· Communication

The next subgroup is being arranged by AS.

· Outdoor Eating

Cllr Wilson feedback that a positive meeting was held on 14th April 2021. Outdoor eating area at beginning of Market Square is going ahead and we hope will be in place for 17th May. MHA are project managing and will provide updates.

JW updated on the pavement licence process which is now free. The applications are dealt with by CEC, and MTC are a consultee.

· Community Response

Subgroup still to take place however MTC and CVSCE are holding a ‘get together’ virtually by zoom for Voluntary sector 19th May.

Also, the working group aim to hold an event/ promotion during ‘Volunteers Week’ at the beginning of June, to showcase the wonderful voluntary opportunities in Macclesfield. AM to lead.

It was also agreed to separate the Art and Culture from this group, and for Cllr Jackson and EA to attend the Macclesfield Cultural Forum, so they can feedback to the working group from that, rather than set up a new subgroup that would be duplication. Art and Culture will have its own Heading as a subgroup on future agendas.

· Eco Summit

Set for 15th May 2021. Organised by MTC and Macctastic. JG and Cllr Mannion are leading the session on the recovery working group and actions in the plan that come under the environment. From this the aim to create a subgroup.

· Update on actions on plan: MBJ and LS to update the mailing list on developments and work.

4. Updates from last meeting

· JW updated on criteria for levelling up and LEP funding. JW also showcased the marketing ‘Say ‘hi’ to the High Street’ and associated posters and campaign to be rolled out.

· Chewing gum campaign to be run by MTC.

AS had order items from Keep Britain Tidy and will plan a social media campaign.

· Discussion on Town Hall

It was agreed to hold this meeting once the CEC Asset Transfer Policy has been approved by CEC. Interested parties will be informed by LS and MBJ.

5. Next Steps/Actions

– Hold all subgroup meetings and email notes to all members to update.

– Update mailing list members

– Members to try to attend the LEP Consultations.

– It was agreed the next meeting will be spent reviewing the TOR and the future of the working group.

6. Date of next meeting

10am 8th June 2021.

Thursday 01 April – 2021

Character Assessment Working Group

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Agenda 1st April 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting will be held remotely.

Agenda for the meeting 1st April 2021 at 10.30am.

1.  Apologies for Absence

2.  Minutes of the Character Assessment WG Meeting held on 12th March 2021

Action: To consider the draft minutes as a true record of the meeting.

3.   Matters Arising from the Minutes

Action: To consider any matters arising from the minutes.

4.  Character Assessment Development

Action: To review the revised draft objectives as per the report.

5. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be agreed

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Minutes 1st April 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting was held remotely.

Minutes of the meeting held on 1st April 2021 at 10.30am.

 

1. Apologies for Absence

None

2. Minutes of the Character Assessment WG Meeting held on 12th March 2021

RESOLVED:        That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting.

3. Matters Arising from the Minutes

None

4. Character Assessment Development

RESOLVED:      That the key objectives of a character assessment are agreed and an invitation to quote is prepared for a planning consultant to complete a character assessment for Macclesfield.

5. Date/Time and Place of next Meeting

To be advised

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

Meeting closed at 11.04am

Chair:   Cllr Mike Hutchison

Clerk:    Harriet Worrell

Present:

Abi Sherratt Macclesfield Town Council

Aoife Middlemass CVSCE

Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council

Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council

Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council

Dr Evi Girling Keele University

Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums

Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council

Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield

Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust

Apologies:

Jo Wise Cheshire East Council

Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council

1. Welcome from Co/Chairs

Cllr Jackson welcomed and thanked the group.

2 Updates on Member organisations endorsement of the plan

All working group member organisations have endorsed the plan, apart from:

Silk Museums have it on their agenda 1/04/21

CVSCE – to confirm

3 Updates on Subgroups and actions on the plan

· Communication

The first Communication sun group meeting has taken place.

· Outdoor Eating

Meeting set for 14th April 2021. Outdoor eating area at beginning of Market Square can go ahead with funding from MTC for Planters and tables, and support from CEC, with licensing and moving car park spaces. MHA will project manage.

 

· Community Response

Larger group still to be set up. MTC and CVSCE are holding a ‘get together’ virtually by zoom for Voluntary sector 19th May.

 

· Eco Summit

Set for 15th May 2021. Organised by MTC and Macctastic.

This recovery working group will have a session, to present the plan, with the aim to create a subgroup.

· Update on actions on plan: Group updated actions in progress on the plan. MBJ will update and LS and MBJ will produce updates to all mailing list contacts.

4. Updates from last meeting

· JW to update on criteria for levelling up and LEP funding.

JW was not present but has emailed over information.

· Chewing gum campaign to be run by MTC.

LS and AS are procuring items from Keep Britain Tidy.

· MBJ and LS to update all on the mailing list.

Updated in previous item.

· Invite David Rutley to a Working Group Meeting

Invite will be made in due course.

5. Discussion on Town Hall

Many interested residents and organisations in the town contact member organisations about the use of the Town Hall building. It is owned by CEC, who use the building for various meetings, weddings and events. It also houses MTC.

The working group decided try and bring together interested parties for discussion. This would include CEC as the owners of the building.

It would be desirable to hold this meeting once the CEC Asset Transfer Policy has been approved, however we would aim for end May 2021.

6. Next Steps/Actions

– Hold all sub group meetings

– Update mailing list members

– Organise Town Hall discussion

– Members to try to attend the LEP Consultations.

7. Date of next meeting

26th April 10.30am

Macclesfield Town Council

Planning Policy Consultation Working Group Agenda 15th March 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting will be held remotely.

Agenda for the meeting on 15th March 2021 at 10am.

1. Election of Chair and Vice Chair

1.1 Elect Chair

1.2 Elect Vice Chair

2. Background

3. Governance

3.1 Agree Terms of Reference

4. National Planning Policy Framework and National Model Design Code Consultation

Action: To consider a response to the consultation

5. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be advised.

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

Macclesfield Town Council

Planning Policy Consultation Working Group Minutes 15th March 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting was held remotely.

Minutes of the meeting held on 15th March 2021 at 10am.

In attendance:

  • Cllr Mike Hutchison
  • Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
  • Cllr Fiona Wilson

1. Election of Chair and Vice Chair

1.1   Elect Chair

RESOLVED: That Cllr Hutchison is elected as Chair

1.2   Elect Vice Chair

RESOLVED: That Cllr Wilson is elected as Vice Chair

2.         Background

At the Planning Committee meeting on 26/02/21, it was resolved that a Working Group is established to respond to future planning consultations.

Currently, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is consulting on the draft text of the revised National Planning Policy Framework and seeking views on the draft National Model Design Code.

3. Governance

3.1 Terms of Reference

The Terms of Reference were agreed.

4. National Planning Policy Framework and National Model Design Code Consultation

RESOLVED:       That the following response to the consultation is returned and ratified at the next available Planning Committee meeting.

 

Chapter 2: Achieving sustainable development

Q1. Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 2?

Request an amendment to paragraph 8b:

A social objective – to support strong, vibrant, and healthy communities, by ensuring that a sufficient number and range of homes, including affordable homes, can be provided to meet the needs…

 

Chapter 3: Plan-making

Q2: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 3?

Disagree with the addition of text to paragraph 22:

“Where larger-scale development such as new settlements form part of the strategy for the area, policies should be set within a vision that looks further ahead (at least 30 years), to take into account the likely timescale for delivery.”

This will have an impact on land prices and reduce the viability of affordable housing in new developments.

 

Chapter 4: Decision making

Q3: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 4? Which option relating to change of use to residential do you prefer and why?

Disagree with the new text in paragraph 53, and express concern on how the new criteria can be applied. Article 4s should continue to be limited to situations where necessary to support local amenities and wellbeing of an area, and in particular to protect communities from the proliferation of HMOs which can have a negative impact in a local area.

Paragraph 59 – request “They should consider publishing a local enforcement plan to manage enforcement proactively, in a way that is appropriate to their area” is amended to;

They should publish a local enforcement plan to manage enforcement proactively, in a way that is appropriate to their area.”

We have seen the cumulative detrimental effect on our town centre conservation area of uPVC window installations, satellite dishes and unsympathetic shop frontages that could have been prevented with proactive enforcement measures.

 

Chapter 5: Delivering a wide choice of high quality homes

Q4: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 5?

Paragraph 63 – remove b) so that affordable housing is prioritised.

 

Chapter 8: Promoting healthy and safe communities

Q5: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 8?

No comments

 

Chapter 9: Promoting sustainable transport

Q6: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 9?

No comments

 

Chapter 11: Making effective use of land

Q7: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 11?

No comments

 

Chapter 12: Achieving well-designed places

Q8: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 12?

Paragraph 126 – retain existing wording. Parish/town councils are comprised of elected members and represent the community. Neighbourhood groups risk undermining this important planning function.

Paragraph 127 – retain existing wording. If a neighbourhood plan has a policy on design or develops a design code, this should be the standard against which design will be measured in that area.

Paragraph 128 – don’t agree. As above, if a neighbourhood plan has a policy on design or develops a design code, this should be the standard against which design will be measured in that area.

Paragraph 130 is welcomed. Macclesfield Town Council is actively seeking opportunities for planting trees in the town.

 

Chapter 13: Protecting the Green Belt

Q9: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 13?

No comments

 

Chapter 14: Meeting the challenge of climate change, flooding and coastal change

Q10: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 14?

No comments

 

Chapter 15: Conserving and enhancing the natural environment

Q11: Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 15?

No comments

 

Chapter 16: Conserving and enhancing the historic environment

Q12. Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 16?

No comments

 

Chapter 17: Facilitating the sustainable use of minerals

Q13. Do you agree with the changes proposed in Chapter 17?

National Model Design Code

No comments

 

Q14. Do you have any comments on the changes to the glossary?

No comments

 

Q15. We would be grateful for your views on the National Model Design Code, in terms of:

a) the content of the guidance

b) the application and use of the guidance

c) the approach to community engagement.

No comments

Public Sector Equality Duty

 

Q16. We would be grateful for your comments on any potential impacts under the Public Sector Equality Duty.

Reducing the cost of land will increase affordability. Development should reflect the needs in society and provide safe homes that promote health and wellbeing with a residential mix. At least 30% of homes should be affordable and distributed, as too rented properties, throughout a development site to prevent a cluster of housing types that may foster perceptions of inequality between residents of diverse economic means.

There is real concern that offsetting affordable houses to alternate sites dedicated for this market will lead to an extreme sense of inequality and discrimination, with the potential for such areas to decline and impact negatively on residents’ health and wellbeing.

There should be a focus on homes for life so people may feel connected to their community, instilling a sense of civic pride and community cohesion.  Affordability could aid the ambition of greater integration.

New homes must meet high environmental standards such as electric charging points, low energy boilers and insulation to future proof the world in a time when climate emergencies have been declared by many councils. The health and wellbeing of future generations is dependent on responsible and decisive action now.

Larger developments in particular should have a responsibility to ensure there is no detrimental impact to existing services and infrastructure (health service, education, transport) that may indirectly discriminate against minority groups. This can be achieved through CIL or S106 injections or the development providing its own services, providing there is a sustainable infrastructure link to the town centre and the development does not divert footfall from the town centre.

5. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be advised.

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

Meeting closed at 11.22am

Chair:   Cllr Mike Hutchison

Clerk:    Harriet Worrell

Friday 12 March – 2021

Character Assessment WG

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Agenda 12th March 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting will be held remotely.

Agenda for the meeting 12th March 2021 at 1pm.

1. Apologies for Absence

2. Minutes of the Character Assessment WG Meeting held on 5th February 2021

Action: To consider the draft minutes as a true record of the meeting.

3. Matters Arising from the minutes

Action: To consider any matters arising from the minutes.

4. Character Assessment Development

Action: To further refine the draft objectives as per the report.

5. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be agreed

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Minutes 12th March 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting will be held remotely.

Minutes of the meeting held on 12th March 2021 at 1pm.

1. Apologies for Absence

None.

2. Minutes of the Character Assessment WG meeting held on 5th February 2021

RESOLVED:        That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting.

3. Matters Arising from the minutes

At the previous meeting on 5th February, a provisional date of 26th February was set for the next meeting of the Working Group. This date was subsequently rescheduled to 12th March.

 

4. Character Assessment Development

The Working Group welcomed Mr Tom Evans, a Senior Cheshire East Council Planning Officer, to the meeting.

Mr Evans advised that:

  • The context of a character assessment should align within the Government’s emerging design guide model.
  • The focus of the character assessment should be the visual landscape and specification of planning policy where it is not covered by existing Cheshire East Council planning policy.
  • The character assessment quotation brief seeks recommendations from the planning consultant on mechanisms to address the elements previously identified by the Planning Committee. The elements are:
    • Economy
    • Climate Change
    • Landscape
    • Flood risk
    • Habitat
    • Open Space including protection of local green spaces
    • Infrastructure
    • Housing
    • HMOs
    • Community Assets
    • King’s Cumberland Street cricket pitch
    • Any other areas identified during the preparation of the Character Assessment.
  • That the character assessment is formatted to facilitate the process by which Cheshire East Council may adopt it as a supplementary planning document.

5. Date/Time and Place of next Meeting

The date of the next meeting of the Working Group is 10.30am on 1st April 2021.

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

 

Meeting closed at 2.04pm

Chair:   Cllr Mike Hutchison

Clerk:    Harriet Worrell

Present:

Abi Sherratt Macclesfield Town Council

Aoife Middlemass CVSCE

Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council

Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council

Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council

Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council

Dr Evi Girling Keele University

Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums

Jo Wise Cheshire East Council

Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council

Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield

Apologies:

Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust

1. Welcome from Co/Chairs

Cllr Jackson welcomed and thanked the group.

2 Updates on Member organisations endorsement of the plan

All the member organisations have received a letter from the Co-Chairs of the Working group asking them to endorse the plan.

CEC have endorsed the plan, with a decision record signed by the Executive Director Place and Cllr Mannion as Portfolio Holder for Environment and Regeneration to formally endorse the MTCRP on behalf of CEC

MTC will approve at Full Council 29/03/21

Silk Museums have it on their agenda 1/04/21

MIM have it on the agenda for their next Board Meeting 8/03/21

CVS and Peaks and Plains to update the time scale for their endorsement.

3 Updates on Subgroups and actions on the plan

· Communication

Group is formed and being led by Abi Sherratt.

· Outdoor Eating

Group is formed and led by Cllr Fiona Wilson and Jo Wise

· Community Response

Emma Anderson, Aoife Middlemass and Cllr Brathwaite to meet and set up a meeting.

· Eco Summit

Set for 15th May 2021. Organised by MTC and Macctastic.

This recovery working group will have a session, to present the plan, with the aim to create a subgroup.

· Mailing list updates

Approx 50 people on the list.

Updates can be sent by Town Clerk if related to the plan.

MBJ and Town Clerk to produce an update

· Art and Culture group updates

Abi and Cllr Jackson attend this group and will be the point of contact for the working group.

4 Updates on any funding opportunities

Discussion on potential funding from the LEP and Levelling Up Funding.

Once the Levelling Up Funding criteria is released JW will update the group.

It was agreed to invite David Rutley MP to a working group meeting to assist with funding.

Re-opening High Street fund being extended to end of June so that CE will be doing a repeat of their press adverts, videos for TC to promote via social media and mail shots to residents.

5 Next Steps/Actions including discussion what Covid Roadmap could mean for the plan.

– JW to update on criteria for levelling up and LEP funding

– All subgroups to meet

– Chewing gum campaign to be run by MTC (AS)

– MBJ and LS to update all on the mailing list

– Invite David Rutley to a Working Group Meeting.

6 Date of next meeting

30th March 2021 at 11.30am

Friday 05 February – 2021

Character Assessment WG

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Agenda 5th February 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting will be held remotely.

Agenda for the meeting 5th February 2021 at 11.30am.

 

1.        Apologies for Absence

2.         Minutes of the Character Assessment WG meeting held on 15th January 2021

Action: To consider the draft minutes as a true record of the meeting

3.         Matters Arising from the minutes

Action: To consider any matters arising from the minutes

4.         Character Assessment Development

Action: To consider the report

5.         Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be agreed

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Minutes 5th February 2021

 

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting was held remotely.

The committee members requested that this meeting was brought forward from 11.30am to 11am.

Minutes of the meeting held on 5th February 2021 at 11am.

 

In attendance:

  • Cllr Mike Hutchison
  • Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
  • Cllr Fiona Wilson

 

1. Apologies for Absence

None

2. Minutes of the Character Assessment WG Meeting held on 15th January 2021

RESOLVED:        That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting.

3. Matters Arising from the minutes

None.

4. Character Assessment Development

Following approval of the recommendation to the Planning Committee meeting on 05/02/21, an invitation to quote shall be prepared for the appointment of a planning consultant to prepare a character assessment.

The working group:

  1. Reviewed and approved the report listing the set of objectives for a character assessment for Macclesfield.
  2. Capped the funding of planning consultancy at £10,000. In the event of additional funding, provision will be reviewed at Full Council.
  3. Sought that there was proactive engagement with suitably qualified stakeholders.

5.         Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

A provisional date for the next meeting of the Working Group is 11.30am on 26th February.

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

 

Meeting closed at 11:55 am

Chair:   Cllr Mike Hutchison

Clerk:    Harriet Worrell

Present:

Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums

Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield

Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council

Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust

Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council

Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council

Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council

Jo Wise Cheshire East Council

Abi Sherratt Macclesfield Town Council

Dr Evi Girling Keele University

Apologies:

Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council

1. Membership

The group agreed to invite Aoife Middlemass to the working group as a member, who will represent CVS, who are the infrastructure organisation for the voluntary and community sector.

All members agreed to continue the group and to meet at least monthly.

2. Feedback from the Forum

Feedback from the forum has be overwhelmingly positive. There is a lot of energy and enthusiasm from the people of Macclesfield to get involved and make change. Social Media posts have been positive, and many attendees have emailed further ideas and suggestions.

The key now is to harness the enthusiasm and turn it into action in the plan.

2. Finalising and Endorsing the Plan

Matthew, Abi, Jo and Laura will meet 4th FEB to update the plan with all of the findings and suggestions from the online event.

The plan focuses on the shorter term ‘Covid’ recovery; however the event did show that there is enthusiasm for longer term recovery ideas. So, we will add those longer term suggestions to the plan in order to manage expectations and time scales.

We agreed each working group organisation should endorse the plan, with the understanding that this may be more complex for our CEC colleagues.

4. Next Steps and Taking Action

Laura to update all attendees of the Online Forum, thank them for their positive input and enthusiasm, and ask if they would like to be on a mailing list for updates.

Working group members will be added to the mailing list.

It was agreed to have subgroups that feed into the working group to take forward the actions.

• Communication – Abi Sherratt to lead

• Outdoor eating – Cllr Wilson and Jo Wise to lead.

• Community Response – Aoife, Emma and Liz to lead

• Environment – Cllr Mannion and Justine to work with MTC and Macctastic – focusing on the Eco Summit in May.

Each group with update the working group meetings

5. Resources and Funding Bids

It was agreed for the Working Group to collaborate and work together on funding bids that relate to actions on the plan.

Cllr Wilson will work on a statement relating to funding.

6. Date of next meeting

9th FEB 11.30 – 12.30

Friday 15 January – 2021

Character Assessment Working Group

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Agenda 15th January 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting will be held remotely.

 

Agenda for the meeting 15th January 2021 at 11.30am.

 

1. Election of Chair and Vice Chair

1.1 Elect Chair

1.2 Elect Vice Chair

2. Background

3. Governance

3.1 Terms of Reference

Action: To note the Terms of Reference

4. Character Assessment Areas

Action: To develop an approach on the character assessment of the following areas:

  • Transport
  • Economy
  • Climate Change
  • Landscape
  • Flood risk
  • Habitat
  • Open Space including protection of local green spaces
  • Infrastructure
  • Housing
  • HMOs
  • Community Assets
  • King’s Cumberland Street cricket pitch

5. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

To be agreed

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

Macclesfield Town Council

Character Assessment Working Group Minutes 15th January 2021

Due to the Coronavirus Covid-19 restrictions and in line with the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Coronavirus) (Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 this meeting was held remotely.

 

Minutes of the meeting held on 15th January 2021 at 11.30am.

 

In attendance:

  • Cllr Mike Hutchison
  • Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
  • Cllr Fiona Wilson

1. Election of Chair and Vice Chair

1.1 Elect Chair

RESOLVED: That Cllr Hutchison is elected as Chair

1.2 Elect Vice Chair

RESOLVED: That Cllr Wilson is elected as Vice Chair

2. Background

The Macclesfield Character Assessment will define the local built environment, capturing what is important, worth protecting and strengthening.

The aim is to document what is not covered in existing Cheshire East Council planning policy; to be used as a reference by Macclesfield Town Council when considering applications and ultimately, subject to the Local Planning Authority’s consultation process, adopted as a supplementary planning document.

3. Governance

3.1 Terms of Reference

The Terms of Reference were noted.

4. Character Assessment Areas

RESOLVED:      That subject to the Council’s Standing Orders, an invitation to quote is prepared for a Planning Consultant to support the council in the preparation of a character assessment to cover, but not limited to, the following areas:

  • Transport
  • Economy
  • Climate Change
  • Landscape
  • Flood risk
  • Habitat
  • Open Space including protection of local green spaces
  • Infrastructure
  • Housing
  • HMOs
  • Community Assets
  • King’s Cumberland Street cricket pitch

5. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

The date of the next meeting of the Working Group is 11.30am on 5th February 2021.

The format/venue to be confirmed subject to C-19 restrictions and related regulations.

 

Meeting closed at 12.22am

Chair:   Cllr Mike Hutchison

Clerk:    Harriet Worrell

Present:

Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums
Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield
Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council
Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust
Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council
Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council
Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council
Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council
Jo Wise Cheshire East Council
Abi Sherratt Macclesfield Town Council
Dr Evi Girling Keele University
Professor Ian Loader Keele University

1. Welcome from Co/Chairs

Cllr Jackson welcomed and thanked the group for all their hard work to collect evidence with surveys and fact finding sessions. The minutes of the last meeting were agreed.
We welcomed Abi Sherratt, newly appointed Events and Communications Officer for Macclesfield Town Council.
We also welcomed Dr Evi Girling and Professor Ian Loader from Keele University who were observing the group and they will be conducting longer term surveys on Covid and safety in the new year.

2. MBJ led the next session, a working interactive session where we gathered all the evidence from the following and began to create actions for the plan
• Residents Survey – Cllr Braithwaite and JW
• Residents Fact-Finding session – Cllr Brathwaite and JG
• Business Surveys – JW and Cllr Braithwaite
• Retail Fact-Finding Session – Cllr Wilson
• Hospitality Fact-Finding Session – Cllr Mannion and MBJ
• Cultural and Digital Fact-Finding Session – Cllr Jackson and EA

3. Tasks Moving Forward

• 1 page Summary of the Survey Findings JW and Cllr Brathwaite
• Actions to be fitted in the plan – MBJ
• Look to arrange further Hospitality and Retail fact finding sessions- MBJ, Cllr Wilson, Cllr Mannion and LS.
• Organise and plan for a large focus group
• Proofread and create structured and accessible document of the plan and actions. AS
• Update MTC actions of what has been done during Covid and planned for the Christmas period – Cllr Wilson

4. Date of next meeting

Tuesday 1st December 2020 at 8.30 – 9.30am via zoo

Present:

Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums
Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield
Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council
Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust
Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council
Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council
Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council
Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council
Jo Wise Cheshire East Council

Apologies

Michael Jones Local Retailer (PR Jones Jewellers)

1. Welcome from Co/Chairs

The Co-chairs welcomed the group and minutes of last meeting were agreed.

2. Initial Objectives

The group discussed and agreed updates to the Executive summary within the recovery plan. Once updated it will be publicised.

3. Update to the Baseline Information

Footfall data

Footfall data is on MTC website is showing a downward trend, however it was noted when compared with national footfall, the town centre was performing favourably. We aim to add a national comparison figure to the MTC data.

Update on vacant properties and what businesses are open in Macclesfield.

Vacant property research has been completed and showed a very stable amount of vacant properties. Although some properties are now vacant this has been offset of a take up of vacant premises by other businesses.
One key point was that it is hard to find information about vacant properties. e.g what is currently available, cost, planning class etc.

Collation and analysis of work in public realm and keeping the town safe and clean.

Cllr Mannion updated that the collection of examples of work that has been done and is planned to keep the town clean and an attractive place to visit, continues. Cllr Mannion will work with the Town Clerk, The MTC Ranger Service and Ansa to discuss further possible projects for the public realm.

Update on progression of Surveys and any initial feedback.

o Cllr Brathwaite has hand delivered around 200 surveys to local businesses.
o CEC and MTC have the links to both surveys on their respective websites
o Working Group members have circulated both residents survey and business survey far and wide, engaging many other organisations to gather evidence, and will continue to do promote.
o Engagement in the survey has been positive.
Returns so far:
o Approx. 70 Business surveys returned
o Approx. 300 Residents’ surveys returned.

4. Communication

Communication strategy

The group agreed to release the Executive Summary from the plan once updated.
Circulate and publicise the fact finding sessions and push the surveys again as we reach the end date of 31st October.
Draft a Communication timeline
Invite MTC Events and Communication Officer to the meetings once in post.

5. Fact Finding Sessions

Dates and format were agreed for the following sessions:
• Cultural and Digital
• Hospitality
• Residents
• Retail
To be publicised as soon as possible, with all data to be collated and feedback to the working group 23rd November 2020.

6. Tasks Moving Forward

• Update Executive Summary – MBJ
• Publicise, and communicate details of fact finding sessions – LS
• Flow chart produced of Principles and Objectives- MBJ and JW
• Communication timeline to be drafted – Cllr Wilson, JG and LS
• Collate survey results –quantitative data CEC team, qualitative data – Cllr Brathwaite and JW.

7. Date of next meeting

Thursday 12th November 8.30am – 9.30am Meet to debrief on fact finding sessions
held
Monday 23rd November 8.30am – Midday – Full working group meeting and collation of survey and fact finding session evidence.

Macclesfield Town Centre Recovery Group Minutes 2nd October

Macclesfield Town Centre Recovery Working Group

Minutes of the meeting to be held on 2nd October 2020 2pm to 4pm

Present:

Emma Anderson                                                     Macclesfield Museums

Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair)              Make it Macclesfield

Cllr Liz Brathwaite                                                   Cheshire East Council

Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair)                         Macclesfield Town Council (Chair)

Cllr Nick Mannion                                                    Cheshire East Council

Cllr Fiona Wilson                                                      Macclesfield Town Council

Laura Smith                                                              Macclesfield Town Council

Jo Wise                                                                    Cheshire East Council


Apologies

Michael Jones                                                         Local Retailer (PR Jones Jewellers)

Justine Gore                                                            Peaks and Plains Housing Trust 

1. Welcome from Co/Chairs

The Co-chairs welcomed the group and minutes of last meeting were agreed.

 

2. Initial Objectives

The group discussed the draft objectives presented by MBJ.

Additions were agreed around:

  • Public realm and environment e.g. promoting green spaces
  • Communication e.g. public health messages

MBJ will update

 3.  Update to the Baseline Information

  • Footfall data is now on MTC website in an accessible format
  • CEC footfall data was shared with the group, however, is not on CEC as they seek to make it accessible.
  • It was noted footfall in the town centre had been increasing until last week (week beginning Sep 21st, 2020) coinciding with a change in Govt guidelines and an increase in restrictions.

Update on vacant properties and what businesses are open in Macclesfield.

This is still in progress but near completion. Thank you to Cllr Edwardes for his invaluable contribution to this task.

Collation and analysis of work in public realm and keeping the town safe and clean.

Cllr Mannion updated that the collection of examples of work that has been done and is planned to keep the town clean and an attractive place to visit, continues. It also fed into the initial objectives discussion.

Update on progression of Surveys and any initial feedback.

  • Cllr Brathwaite has hand delivered around 200 surveys to local businesses.
  • CEC and MTC have the links to both surveys on their respective websites
  • Working Group members have circulated both residents survey and business survey far and wide, engaging many other organisations to gather evidence, and will continue to do promote.
  • Engagement in the survey has been positive.

Returns so far:

  • 40 Business surveys returned
  • 137 Residents’ surveys returned.

4.  Communication

Update on possible Funding

JW updated that they had a very positive meeting concerning the funding and would keep the group updated.

Communication strategy

The group agreed that communication is of paramount importance in contributing to the success for the recovery plan.

After a discussion, it was agreed, as MTC are imminently recruiting and Events and Communication Officer (Town Centre Manager) that they would lead the Communication strategy.

It needs to include:

  • Communication with Partners and Stakeholders
  • Social Media and digital communications
  • Communication for those who are digitally excluded or those who do not use social media

 5.  Forum

The group agreed to supplement the evidence from the surveys with sector specific sessions groups to gain further evidence.

The agreed sessions will be

  • Cultural and Digital
  • Hospitality
  • Residents
  • Retail

Criteria will be developed to establish attendance for each session, and there will be up to 10 places, on a first come first served basis.

2 members of the working group will facilitate each session.

The larger forum will take place once the results of the survey and the fact finding sessions are complete.

 6.  Tasks Moving Forward

  • Update plan – MBJ
  • Update for stakeholders – MBJ
  • Update on emerging survey findings – Cllr Brathwaite and JW
  • Produce plan for the sector specific fact finding sessions – LS
  • Structure of fact finding sessions – MBJ and LS

 7.  Date of next meeting

16th October 3pm – 4pm Meet to finalise details of fact finding sessions.

26th October 8.30am – 10.30am – Full working group meeting.

Macclesfield Town Centre Recovery Working Group Minutes

Minutes of the meeting to be held at 8.30am 10.30am on 10th September 2020

Present:

Emma Anderson Macclesfield Museums
Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson (Co – Chair) Make it Macclesfield
Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council
Justine​ Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust
Cllr Janet Jackson MBE (Co-Chair) Macclesfield Town Council (Chair)
Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council
Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council
Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council
Jo Wise Cheshire East Council


1.  Welcome from Co/Chairs

Cllr Janet Jackson MBE and Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson welcomed the group and thanked them for the input and work completed.
Group members agreed to publicise group members on MTC website.

2.  Structure of the Recovery Plan

Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson presented a proposed structure for the recovery plan.

3.  Update to the Baseline Information

Update and presentation of the MTC and CEC response to Covid.
Update on footfall and collection on what properties are vacant in the town
Update and agreement on Business Confidence Survey and Residents survey.

4.  Initial Objectives

Members agreed to go through the High Street Task Force recovery plan prior to the next meeting with view to setting clear and realistic objectives as a priority.

5.  Tasks Moving Forward

  • Finalise the Structure
  • Go through High Street Task Force Objectives
  • Approval needed for surveys from CEC. Once approved surveys to be circulated by all members immediately.
  • Baseline data to be prepared and / or updated

–  Foot fall data in an accessible format, showing week on week, month and month and the same week with the previous year for comparison.
–  Update on vacant properties and what businesses are open in Macclesfield.
–  Collection of work in public realm and keeping the town safe and clean.
–  Start the collection of all the various events and reasons to visit the town centre.

6. Date of next meeting

The next meeting is set for 22nd September 2020 8.30am – 10.30 am via zoom.

Present:

Emma Anderson – Macclesfield Museums
Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson Make it Macclesfield
Cllr Liz Brathwaite Cheshire East Council
Justine Gore Peaks and Plains Housing Trust
Cllr Janet Jackson MBE Macclesfield Town Council (Chair)
Cllr Nick Mannion Cheshire East Council
Cllr Fiona Wilson Macclesfield Town Council
Laura Smith Macclesfield Town Council
Jo Wise Cheshire East Council

Apologies:

Nick Lewis Estates and Leisure

1. Welcome from Chair

Cllr Janet Jackson MBE welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked everyone for attending and giving their time and looked forward to a positive working experience.

2. Election of Chair / Co-Chair

It was agreed that the group should be Co-Chaired. Cllr Janet Jackson and Matthew Baqueriza-Jackson were selected for the positions for future meetings.

3. Background to the Working Group

Cllr Fiona Wilson, Macclesfield Town Council Town Centre and Regeneration Champion, shared with the group an overview of Macclesfield Town Council’s strategy and their response to Covid-19 including:
• The commitment to the Town Centre regeneration in the MTC Strategy.
• Substantial improvements to the public realm and an increase in Town Ranger
hours.
• Resource review of staff at the Town Council and the imminent recruitment of an
Events and Communication Officer (Town Centre Manager).
• Distribution of grants for local groups to help vulnerable residents.
• Holding virtual events including VE Day Celebrations and Barnaby Festival.
• Holding a focus group on 28th July 2020, to bring over 30 local stakeholders together
to begin discussions for recovery.
Cllr Nick Mannion, Cheshire East Council Portfolio Holder for Environment and Regeneration, informed the group of the initial work on a suggested recovery plan completed by Make it Macclesfield and the work that MTC led with the initial focus group in July, which has resulted in this working group coming together.
In response to Covid-19, CEC has distributed over £86,000,000 in business grants and has worked hard to ensure further discretionary grants were given to businesses who needed it most, which was a challenging process. CEC has also worked hard ensure social
distancing signage has been put around the town centre and welcome back banners to encourage the return and confidence of residents.

4. Terms of Reference

The group agreed to the Terms of Reference and also agreed to work to the Nolan
Principles also known as the Seven Principles of Public Life
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-7-principles-of-public-life/the-7-principles-of-public-life–2

5. How we Measure Impact and Success

The group had an in-depth discussion about the different ways to measure the impact of the recovery of the town centre including:
• Footfall data (currently collected by MTC and CEC).
• Heatmap data (CEC will shortly have new data available).
• Survey of businesses / shops located in the town centre (MTC are currently completing this).
• Survey of businesses in the town centre.
• Survey of consumers and residents.
• Anecdotal case studies.
The group agreed on the need to establish a baseline and to remain flexible with our measurements and not to too prescriptive from the outset as there may be changes as the group continues.
The below actions were agreed to begin to establish the baseline.
Actions:
Cllr Wilson to produce a one page narrative of Macclesfield Town Council’s response to Covid- 19.
MBJ to produce a one page narrative on the previous history of the town centre regeneration, including Macclesfield Town Centre Strategic Regeneration Framework and other strategic documents such as the Macclesfield Town Council Strategy 2019 -2023.
Cllr Brathwaite and JW to produce a Business Confidence Survey and a Consumer Confidence Survey for the group to distribute.
A further action was agreed to publicise the group.
Action:
LS to draft a press release and share with all group members, with view to publicising within a week (taking note of the time needed for CEC to gain approval).

6. Additional Members/ Stakeholder Experts

The group discussed the benefit of additional members, and it was decided that a retail perspective was desired, and that further experts would be identified as the working group progressed.
Action:
LS to approach local retail business owners in the town centre with view to involving them in the working group either as a full-time member or an expert called upon for future meetings.

7. Date of Next Meeting

8.30am – 10.30am, 10th September via Zoom

Tuesday 11 December – 2018

Silk Friendship Association Working Group

Macclesfield Town Council

Silk Friendship Agenda 11th December 2018

Silk Friendship Association Working Group

Agenda of the meeting held on Tuesday 11th December 2018 at 10am in Macclesfield Town Hall.

1. Minutes of the Meeting 30th October 2018

2. Visits to and From Xi’an

2.1 Invitation to Visit Xi’an

2.2 Visitors From Xi’an

3. Schools Liaison

4. Business Liaison

5. Project Options

5.1 Silk/Chinese Artwork Exhibition

5.2 Chinese New Year Celebration 5th February 2019

5.3 Sculpture/public Installation

5.4 Resource Package Discussion

6. Tasks & Priorities

7. Correspondence

7.1 SACU & Manchester China Forum

8. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

Macclesfield Town Council

Silk Friendship Minutes 11th December 2018

Silk Friendship Association Working Group

Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 11th December 2018 at 10am in Macclesfield Town Hall.

In attendance:

  • Cllr Gareth Jones
  • Cllr Beverley Dooley
  • Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
  • Mike Rance
  • Graham Barrow
  • Helena Gowler
  • Harriet Worrell

Apologies: Cllr Ainsley Arnold, Emma Anderson

1. Minutes of the Meeting 30th October 2018

RESOLVED: The minutes were approved as a true record of the meeting.

2. Visits to and From Xi’an

2.1 Invitation to Visit Xi’an

The invitation remains open and will be given further consideration under the new Town Council.

2.2 Visitors From Xi’an

There is no further update on the Shandan County Government delegation visit.

A delegation from the Qianshangyang Culture Centre is expected to visit in September 2019 with a Chinese contemporary artists’ silk exhibition at Macclesfield library.

3. Schools Liaison

See 5.1

4. Business Liaison

Helena is meeting with RA Smart to discuss the potential for their support of the Chinese New Year celebration.

5. Project Options

5.1 Silk/Chinese Artwork Exhibition

Commissioned by Macclesfield Town Council, Artspace with several primary schools have engaged with the Whisper of Moths and Great Wall of Friendship art projects that will be on display at the Chinese New Year celebration.

5.2 Chinese New Year Celebration 2nd February 2019

Helena provided the group with an update of the event which will take place at the URC and includes Chinese catering for 200, a musician playing the traditional gushang instrument, art workshops, a dragon parade and art displays.

5.3 Sculpture/Public Installation

Graham updated the group that costings for a public installation have been sent to Cheshire East Council for consideration by the town centre regeneration project.

5.4 Resource Package Discussion

The group was informed that there are no further updates.

6. Tasks & Priorities

That the Silk Friendship Working Group will seek to discuss and identify opportunities with Cheshire East Council to promote and capitalise on Macclesfield’s silk heritage.

7. Correspondence

7.1 SACU & Manchester China Forum

None

8. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

Tuesday 5th February 2019, 9:30am.

Meeting closed 10:45am.

Tuesday 30 October – 2018

Silk Friendship Association Working Group

Macclesfield Town Council

Silk Friendship Agenda 30th October 2018

Silk Friendship Association Working Group

Agenda for the meeting held on Tuesday 30th October 2018 at 10am in Macclesfield Town Hall.

1. Minutes of the Meeting 14th September 2018

Action: To consider the draft minutes

2. Visits to and From Xi’an

2.1 Invitation to Visit Xi’an

2.2 Visitors From Xi’an

Action: To consider priorities relating to formal invitations

3. Schools Liaison

Action: To consider priorities relating to engaging schools and young people

4. Business Liaison

Action: To consider priorities relating to engaging businesses

5. Project Options

5.1 Silk/chinese Artwork Exhibition

5.2 Chinese New Year Celebration 5th February 2019

5.3 Sculpture/public Installation

5.4 Resource Package Discussion

Action: To consider priorities relating to specific projects identified

6. Tasks & Priorities

Action: To consider an action list with pro active priorities

7. Correspondence

7.1 SACU & Manchester China Forum

Action: To consider received correspondence

8. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

Macclesfield Town Council

Silk Friendship Minutes 30th October 2018

Silk Friendship Association Working Group

Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 30th October 2018 at 10am in Macclesfield Town Hall.

In attendance:

  • Cllr Gareth Jones
  • Cllr Beverley Dooley
  • Cllr Janet Jackson MBE
  • Mike Rance
  • Helena Gowler
  • Pete Turner
  • Harriet Worrell

Apologies: Graham Barrow, Cllr Ainsley Arnold, Emma Anderson

1. Minutes of the Meeting 14th September 2018

RESOLVED: The minutes were approved as a true record of the meeting.

2. Visits to and From Xi’an

2.1 Invitation to Visit Xi’an

The invitation remains open and will be given further consideration under the new Town Council.

2.2 Visitors From Xi’an

A delegation from Shandan County Government are expected to visit the UK in late November (visa dependent) with a visit to Macclesfield scheduled for 26th November.

A programme will be drafted for the delegation to showcase the silk heritage of Macclesfield with a potential visit to a local silk printing business.

3. Schools Liaison

The group was advised that the Mandarin teacher at local high schools, has provided some guidance on the approach for the Chinese New Year event in 2019.

Further school engagement is expected with the artwork projects.

4. Business Liaison

Opportunities for liaison will be sought with Astra Zeneca and RA Smart. MR to provide introduction to appropriate contact in Astra Zeneca.

5. Project Options

5.1 Silk/Chinese Artwork Exhibition

Helena provided the group with an update on potential artwork exhibitions run by ArtSpace, and engaging schools, to be displayed in the town centre for the Chinese New Year event on 5th February.

5.2 Chinese New Year Celebration 5th February 2019

Helena provided an update to the group outlining a Chinese New Year event that would take the form of a dragon parade, Chinese food and artwork display.

Sponsorship. HG is to explore possible sponsorship from RA Smart. MR to provide contact for AZ for potential request for sponsorship. MR to raise a request within Make it Macclesfield for a donation towards the event.

HG to discuss costs with Art Space and to consider other venues to address concerns regarding costs.

5.3 Sculpture/Public Installation

The group was informed that there are no further updates on an installation.

5.4 Resource Package Discussion

Marketing Cheshire will be contacted for initial discussions on promoting Macclesfield as a tourist destination.

6. Tasks & Priorities

RESOLVED: That a letter will be written to the director of the Silk Heritage Museum to formally invite the Silk Heritage Trust to participate in the Silk Friendship Association Working Group.

7. Correspondence

7.1 SACU & Manchester China Forum

As per 2.2.

8. Date/Time and Place of Next Meeting

Tuesday 11th December, 10am.

^